Yesterday Forgotten

Yesterday forgotten …

Forgotten

Red Rose

When I come tomorrow, I’ll bring her a red rose

He held her in his lonely arms

Wishing against all odds

She would remember his charms

Her unwilling, pulling away

No hint of recognition again today

He never stops coming, rain or shine

To see his Annie

Remembering when their soul’s were intertwined

Remembering the day she became unaware

Annie forgetting

Asking, ” Who goes there? ”

Looking into her dazed, troubled eye’s

Holding back tears

That’s starting to rise

Quickly she spins, walks to her comfort chair

Him thinking

” Not again, life is so unfair ”

Why did this happen? We were a close family

Me and Annie

Our son John made us three

We’ve been loving each other more than fifty years

Through sunshine

Darkness, laughter and tears

I guess I’ll go now and return tomorrow

I refuse to give up

Living with heartbreaking sorrow

Tomorrow I’ll bring her a beautiful red rose

Hold it gently

Beneath her sweet nose

” Maybe the aroma will bring a happy smile?

Maybe she’ll remember

The forgotten day we walked down the isle “

Ruby Fuller

I am a retired R. N. who loves to write poetry and fiction. I have just found recently that I love to write flash fiction with a twist. I write on hub pages.com. under the name of always exploring- AKA Ruby Fuller.

Latest posts by Ruby Fuller (see all)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Ruby Fuller

10 thoughts on “Yesterday Forgotten

• June 20, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Thank you so much Phyllis. Alzheimer’s Disease is a dreaded mental illness that effects so many, not just the elderly. I had a nurse friend who contracted this at the age of 50. I’m so glad you found this piece touching.

• June 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Thanks, Ruby. It really touched my heart because a beloved aunt of mine contracted Alzheimer’s disease. It was such a sorrowful thing for everyone. Auntie was such a loving soul and very kind-hearted lady. Her life was beautiful and everything, every person in her life was touched by her beauty. Her last two years of life were so sad, where she existed in a world she remembered nothing about. The fears and loneliness she went through were devastating, not just for her, but for all who loved her. We remember her the way she was and still loved her when she was lost and lonely.

• June 21, 2016 at 7:23 AM

Phyllis, this disease has touched so many people, so sorry about your aunt. At one time I worked in an Alzheimer’s unit and saw up close how badly this destroys families. One man, around 60 was a chemist, he would bring his tweed jacket up to my desk and attempt to explain the lines running through the tweed, he would get so frustrated because he couldn’t get his thought’s together. Thanks again for reading and commenting.

• June 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I fear that day should my mind be lost and wandering alone in space. Yet the Universe acts in mysterious ways, being only human, we can’t ask for much, expect less and be surprised with the results. Their is a greater plan for us all, the other side looks more promising as we age. I remember weeping when I watched the “Notebook” it amazes me how awakenings happen from time to time and memories are restored for a minute or two. I just watched “Awakenings” with Robin Williams an Robert De Nero, based on a true story, amazing what the mind can accomplish. The Alzheimer’s disease is most definitely a crippling one for it’s victims and their loved ones. Nicely expressed, Ruby in poetic form.

• June 21, 2016 at 7:34 AM

Hello Vincent. I saw both of the movies you mentioned, and they were sad indeed. As I said in the comment above, I worked with Alzheimer’s patients, and it was devastating to watch them and the family trying to cope. I pray for a cure but none is on the horizon. Every time I forget something I think, ” No! ” I am always so happy to see you. Thank you for reading and leaving a meaningful comment.

• June 20, 2016 at 8:23 PM

A very sad reality, as one’s love fades from memory and that eternal connection seems lost forever. Its an insidious disease and I have seen it in my own family and the loss and loneliness for the remaining soul is unthinkable. Nicely emoted and penned Ruby.

• June 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Hello Tony. Really I think it’s more difficult for the family caregivers. Usually they are placed in a facility for their safety and the families feel that they have discarded them. It’s a no-win situation. I had a dear friend, Tom who started to forget words, within a month he lost all reality. He is in a veteran home today and knows nothing about his surrounding’s. I am sorry you had to deal with this in your family. Thank you for coming to read my piece and sharing your story…

• June 20, 2016 at 10:38 PM

This is heartbreaking Ruby. It almost makes me tear up. I dread this happening to myself or any of my loved ones. Very well written.

• June 21, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Hello John. I have the same fear as you. To lose words or forget names would be so terrible. Writing is my passion, and I know it’s yours too. Words can’t describe the devastation of never writing again. I had an older sister, Bea who developed dementia and we all thought she had Alzheimer’s, but a MRI revealed a malignant brain tumor. She passed away within a two year period. I am a firm believer that keeping the brain active will decrease the possibility of any abnormality. ( Hopefully! ) Thank you for visiting my post and leaving a nice approval…