Who We Are…

And who do I become,
if not for who I am to begin,
for what does stretch the resource of me,
through experience and pain and joy,
does that really change me, who I really am?

Am I not the soul in beginnings,
left to write the pages of my life,
and what truths actually change my essence,
mould a new beginnings that overrides me
and changes what I am?

If I do change that much,
from what have I changed,
a love broken, a harsh abuse, perhaps a tragedy
that brings me to some other realm of being,
and cancels who I am?

Are we as plants, a seed of potential,
that if given positive nutrients
grows into a different form, a better form;
and what if negative nutrients are given,
are we then not the seed at all in failure?

Perhaps we are potential only,
and life will dictate our paths of growth or decay,
and are we then still the seed in essence,
after all we travail, all we endure,
are we still the same?

The soul is ours in beginnings and end,
and what potential we have in extremes,
merely our choices in direction,
and regardless of that we are who we are
in essence; that is what I believe.

And that potential can always be resurrected.

Tony DeLorger © 2016

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

6 thoughts on “Who We Are…

• June 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Tony, I love how you pose the question of are our lives like those of plants? This was an interesting poem that invokes deeper thinking in regard to our being.

• June 1, 2016 at 1:01 PM

l love this, Tony! We are who we are, yes – but, are we who we were yesterday or last year, or …?
    More great words to ponder. Marvelous! Keep my mind active and pondering all the time, Tony, for I love it.

• June 2, 2016 at 1:14 AM

Glad you do Phyllis, eternal questions of life and being haunt a sentient mind, for the answers are not clear cut. Appreciate your kindness.

• August 15, 2018 at 7:30 AM

I’ve often seen changes come to me in phases, it seems every 5 years new horizons appear that create new chapters in my life. Like you Tony I question Who We Are, your comparison to a seed is very interesting, we as humans too need nutrients to see our growth, some positive ones, but unfortunately for many many negative ones. Being unique individuals and not one of us exactly the same biologically, it makes one wonder why? We can look alike, have some similar mannerisms and likes and dislikes, but in our souls we are uniquely different, a oneness within. That I believe what makes geniuses stand out and apart from others, great musicians, artists, poets, scientists and more. They were placed here and given special gifts like no other, the Einsteins and Tesla’s of our world are hidden from us, yet they will appear again in life’s continual cycle. Your work here gives one pause for thinking indeed Tony. Well penned sir.

• August 15, 2018 at 8:39 AM

So glad you enjoyed the work Vincent. I’ve always questioned everything, as it is my way, wanting to understand and explore life in detail. Along the way we discover many truths and perspectives of reality. Fodder for a poet. Take care my friend.