Just a Thought

Just a Thought

It’s like wet ash
when it sticks to the skin,
a thought sticks in the mind
once it gets in.

And now you’re lost
in the mire of memory,
you battle with sorrow
and things that are temporary.

You don’t really know
because circles are spinning
like minds of their own
grown from self underpinning.

You can’t escape
except through the fire of sight,
once you see the war waging
you shrink from the fight.

And come out of the shell,
through the walls of protection
that kept you shuffled away
in self-centered conjection.

The cracks can be seen
and the light can be told,
the sights can be heard
and the truth can unfold.

And you spent time
in tears of concoction
but finally find
that you are the detoxant.

Thought

Nathan Bernardo

Hope to share some of that meaningful writing here.

Latest posts by Nathan Bernardo (see all)

Nathan Bernardo

I've been writing poetry since I was a teenager, which was back in the early 1980s. I've studied poetry a bit, have learned form, meter, alliteration, things like that; but mostly I just let it flow. Though academics tend to think rhyme is contrived, and it often is, I still use it. I think poetry is rhythm and sound. If it sounds good when you read it out loud, then it's good poetry. I think I admire E. E. Cummings the most out of the great poets; because of his totally unorthodox approach. For substance, I like Walt Whitman. For rhythm, I like Edgar Allan Poe. For the raw stuff, I like Ginsberg. I also like a little Dylan Thomas. As for my own writing, I like to explore deeper feelings but feelings that have broad meaning too. Hope to share some of that meaningful writing here.

8 thoughts on “Just a Thought

• June 19, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Very thoughtful and well-written verse, Nathan. Yep, sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I like your rhyming scheme, which makes the poem flow nicely.

• June 20, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Thanks Phyllis. I definitely try to have a nice flow with my work.

• June 20, 2016 at 2:49 AM

Great to see a new poem from you, Nathan. You can be stifled by the thoughts that go through your head, whether they have substance or not. Great rhyme scheme and as Phyllis says, the poem just flows.

• June 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Thanks, John. Yeah, it’s been awhile since my last poem. Busy, plus waited for inspiration.

• June 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM

I have too many thoughts converging in my head daily, I fight to remove the ugly ones and linger in the most pleasant of those granted to me. Indeed your flow and thought pattern is effective in this piece, nicely done Nathan and welcome back, please continue to find your inspiration to share with us your fellow wordsmiths.

• June 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Hello Nathan,
    I am afraid I can relate to this, all too well. The mind is very powerful, it can swallow as well as heal. Great piece. Thank you.

Best,
    Mel

• June 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Great work Nathan, as to being human and all that presents as the human condition. Nicely smooth and the rhyme keeps the work moving well. I enjoyed it my friend.

• September 13, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Nathan well rhymed with a great rhythm. I felt like I was part of a common journey as I read your well chosen imagery. Thank you for a great read. Jamie