My Heart Is Racing, I’m On A Bridge

My heart is racing, my palms are sweating, I’m on a bridge

Starting in childhood, my uncontrollable fear of height

A constant fear, unrelenting fright

Unwarranted, out of control

Stance frozen, don’t look below

Eyes begin to tear

Anxious, frightening fear

Hands clinched tightly on the rail

Unable to move, to attempt is a possible fail

Listen closely, the current is swift

If I fall will I be able to drift?

Questions erupting in my brain

To attempt this again, I must be insane!

I’m standing in the middle

I either walk on or retreat just a little

Slowly move one foot, then the other

Feeling faint, air too still, can’t breathe, about to smother

A scream rises in my throat

Erupting thoughts again, wondering if I fall, will I float?

I know I must move, do something!

I can’t stand here forever and do nothing

Cautiously my hand loosens it’s tightly held grip

My psyche encourages me, it’s only a short trip

I start to move, feet unwilling

My heart is pounding, blood rushing, my head filling

Just when I think I can’t go on

I hear a whisper, ” You can make it, come on along

Soon your persistent fear will be gone

Unwavering, I look into her kind eye’s

Trusting, forever near and so very wise

Assuring me, ” Tomorrow you’ll go all the way

I’ll be by your side, we’ll only go as far as you say

Your fear of height will be a memory of the past

Because you’ve conquered your childhood fear

It will be long gone at last ”

Who is this standing by my side?

It’s my beautiful guardian angel who makes my fear subside

She’s always been with me since childhood and now

She promised she would never leave me. Together we exchanged a sacred vow.

Ruby Fuller

I am a retired R. N. who loves to write poetry and fiction. I have just found recently that I love to write flash fiction with a twist. I write on hub pages.com. under the name of always exploring- AKA Ruby Fuller.

Latest posts by Ruby Fuller (see all)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Ruby Fuller

11 thoughts on “My Heart Is Racing, I’m On A Bridge

• June 22, 2016 at 7:38 PM

I’m not good with heights either, so completely relate to those feelings. It’s no easy to overcome but often our fears are just fears, not real, and stepping over that line proves it. Well penned and expressed. great work.

• June 23, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Hello Tony, I’m afraid I haven’t completely conquered my fear of heights. The thought of getting on an airplane makes my stomach churn. I can walk across a bridge, at one time, I could not. You are correct, they are fears/or phobias that developed in my childhood. Thank you for reading and leaving a understanding comment…

• June 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Very well-penned verse. Ruby. I can so relate to this. The fear of heights have plagued me since I can remember. You expressed the feelings and fears so well. We all need a Guardian Angel in our life.

• June 23, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Hello Phyllis, I suppose there are people who have no fears, it must be wonderful. Yes, we all need our guardian angel’s. Thank you much….

• June 23, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Hello Phyllis, I suppose there are many of us who fear heights. Yes, we all need our guardian angel’s. Thank you…

• June 23, 2016 at 1:13 PM

I so love the idea of a guardian angel, and your expression of fear and overcoming is so well done. My four year old is overwhelmed with fear of enclosed spaces, which he has begun to conquer. A heart wrenching anxiety, that is so very real for those experiencing it. Perhaps he will find a guardian angel someday. 🙂
    Thank you for sharing your struggle and light.

Best,
    Mel

• June 24, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Hello Melissa. I have a sister who can relate to your son’s fear of enclosures. We believe her fear dates back when she was a child and our older brother held her in a closet. He did this repeatedly thinking it was funny. I have always felt that I had a guardian angel. I think anyone who wishes for one will find theirs. Thank you for reading this piece. I appreciate your caring comment. Cheers..

• June 25, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Hello William, I’m hanging in. LOL, or should I have said ” Hanging on? ” Hee. I’m finding many people have this fear. Thank you…

• June 25, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Most wonderful poetry. I am a victim of being afraid of heights. It is so good to know guardian angels are around.

• June 25, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Hello Rasma, the bible teaches that God sends his angels, so I claim mine, and so can you.Thank you…