Endless

Endless

endless

As sun sears sky,
and clouds cringe in distant hollows,
birds soar high,
their lonely cries like pained farewells,
a speck upon the blue eternity;
and strained my neck to lose all scope
of the vacant hue,
that cloaked cosmos too,
that peers back at me, with wonder eyes.

Moments chime
like bells peeling some known resound,
yet for me, their song glides on zephyr,
notes like those birds,
each one a mournful cry, alone,
to find melodious rhyme:
a longing of place to be,
in a vast, empty eternal landscape,
where no-one can escape.

I hear their tiny hearts beating,
tossed in gusts up above the air,
and I wonder if they fear
a fall to ground, as I fear the endless sky,
or are they just calling
to tell me they see my house from there,
no more,
and I, straining neck for thoughts unanswered,
that pass me by, without consolation.

Tony DeLorger © 2016

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

9 thoughts on “Endless

• June 12, 2016 at 5:30 AM

I wonder if the birds soaring above us are wondering about us. I love an open sky and watching the hawks and eagles soar, their cries sounding as if they are in another dimension, sometimes a mournful sound that lingers in the air. Right behind my home is an open sky and lots of birds I love to watch, especially the raptors. Your poem gave me a peaceful feeling, like when I am farther out in the desert where the only sounds are from the birds. Lovely verse, Tony. Beautiful feeling lingers.

• June 12, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Glad you enjoyed it Phyllis and the picture too being close to home. Take care.

• June 12, 2016 at 6:23 AM

Nice one tony , you are just writing up a storm my man ! Keep it up it’s good for the soul , all of our souls!

• June 13, 2016 at 9:09 AM

You know Tony I am a great fan of your work….I try very hard not to miss a single post you make. Your words so descriptive in a soulful way……thank you for sharing these words with us all who follow you…Though I may not make a comment on a post you make from time to time I always come looking for your entries….. your words seem to be a source of “grounding” for me and I thank you personally for sharing your words with all of us. Wish I could be a genie for a day and blink myself to wherever you are and have a face to face chat with you~~~~~you are an amazing man! Thank you for helping to keep spirits lifted!

• June 13, 2016 at 7:38 PM

It’s always so gratifying to receive such heartfelt support Nan, and as always I’m glad my words are so appreciated. Take care.

• June 13, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Thanks so much Nan, so glad you appreciate my words and expression. Its so gratifying to receive such support. Take care girl.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:52 PM

I find so much spirit in birds…such gentle creatures, they seem so intuitive to me. I have a dove nesting right outside my window, two babies just born. Perhaps its crazy of me to say, but she and I have made a connection. I feel priveledged she is sharing her moment with me. Ha!

A beautiful piece Tony, those moments of nature and contemplation colliding…priceless.

Thank you.
    Mel

• June 13, 2016 at 8:42 PM

A pleasure Mel, and I agree birds are intuitive, and I’ll tell you a little story. My ex mother-in-law couldn’t find their cat, a much adored part of the family. It was a hot day and he never just disappeared like that.
    Jan was out side the rear of the house and looked up to see a huge Rainbow Lorikeet squawking frantically at her from her side fence. It kept turning its head to the left toward the garage, over and over. Jan raced into the garage and found Nelson the cat, onto top of some old fruit tree netting, barely conscious. They rushed him to the vet and he was badly dehydrated, but his life was saved. Now Jan talks to all the birds that visit and listens very carefully as to what they are trying to say. True story. Take care.