Better to Talk than to War

We could hear a hum as we marched to the Somme with boots that were covered in mud.
A battle did rage as these men of young age were welcomed by carnage and blood.
I watched as men fell in this small piece of hell and as others crouched down for some cover
and as the shells hit in this stagnated pit many scribbled down notes for their mother.

The noise brought the fight that went on through the night, closer than we’d ever want.
With many aghast at the force of each blast that erupted along battles front.
The rats by the score shared a familiar gnaw, feasting on those who were gone
and we cleared what we could of the bodies and blood, while the cannons they roared on and on.

It wouldn’t be long till yet another song that would make us all want this to stop.
When that whistle did blow, this is what  let us know – it was time to go over the top.
Machine guns did roar, killing men by the score as in a trance we ran straight ahead.
With rifle in hand and by another’s command we were trapping out over the dead.

I think many men knew we would never break through but they sent us there nevertheless
and with great English pride we all died side by side – heaped in such a malevolent mess.
As I lie in this mud and as I watch my blood spraying out into the horizon.
Let my words say to you, this is what you must do. Remember that war is a poison.

I lie in a grave and was said to be brave – for the lil’ bit of fighting I did.
Though I would rather be found with my feet on the ground and just messing around like a kid.
Now a hundred years on and with millions gone. Brothers, Fathers, Grandfathers and more.
Can we now work it out that it is without doubt – better to talk than to War.

A small poem in memory of WW1.
Great Uncle
25th October 2014
Chris Bayliss

Latest posts by Chris Bayliss (see all)

8 thoughts on “Better to Talk than to War

• June 21, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hey Chris, so nice to see you have arrived with your first excellent entry. War is Hell for sure and too many fine young men lost in its name. It won’t stop as long as man remains self-centered, greedy for power and control over humanity. Nicely rhymed my friend. You nailed this one.

• June 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Thanks Vincent I always appreciate your input and great advice.

• June 21, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Welcome to TCE, Chris. This poem is a great introduction to your work. The sad story of the futility of war, well written and a pleasure to read with its wonderful rhyme scheme.

• June 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Thanks for the welcome John and I’m happy that you liked this poem!

• June 22, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Welcome Chris and hope you enjoy the site and sharing our great love of writing. War is such a sad waste of life and so many have died for ideals and country. A great rhyming scheme with artful phrasing and imagery to depict the horrors of WW1 in the mud and trenches, and those so young to fall. Great work my friend.

• June 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Thank you Tony for the lovely words and wonderful welcome. We are almost at the 100th anniversary of the Somme and I hope this poem is somehow worthy of these heroes of times gone bye!

• June 23, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Hello Chris, wow, such an impressive piece. Welcome! The rhyme and flow are seamless, and the message I couldn’t agree with more. Thank you!

Best,
    Mel

• June 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Many thanks Melissa for the fabulous welcome and the glorious comments!