Solitude – Alone With Memories

Solitude

Solitude is where I sit and reflect
On memories of times gone by

Sorrows that linger within my heart
Catch me unaware during quiet times

Sneaking up into my mind these sorrows grab hold
As I wander back to the days

Days when there was no sorrow
Only the hopes of tomorrow

Alone for many years I held strong
And found my way by myself

Learning to rely on only me to follow
My spiritual path, no matter how long

Focusing on my spiritual growth was easy for me
no one there to turn my thoughts in another direction

Years I searched within, seeking my beliefs,
my strengths, my weaknesses, in reflection

And I survived, I walked alone
With only Spirit to guide me

I tested the waters, I floated on the surface,
I played with the rushing waves of the sea

I lingered only here and there for short times,
never feeling at home

Never truly connected to another soul or another heart,
for it was only empty or shallow from the start

I was strong within, strong in my beliefs
kept faith in my heart and spirit in solitude

Let me not forget my love is somewhere
By Heaven above bring forth that love

I am ready for that one who could open me to bliss
Where is the one I now so sorrowfully miss

I knew what was out there for me
I just did not know where

Knew what I wanted to receive, to share
That part of me that no one else ever saw

That which no one ever touched was hidden within
Deep in my soul, now the veil is thin

Waiting for the one who would want to know
and be with that part of me

That lasting and deep love I had for him
Wherever he is, whoever he be

I would know him when I saw him
Would know he was the one

I love him now before he is in my life
Love him truly and long for him

My heart knows him, my spirit knows him
Long before I shall ever see him

We shall meet, we shall dream together
be true in love and life forever

The songbird will sing of our joys
Our deep love for each other

The gentle winds will carry us
Through life and love together

We will sail on clear blue waters
Watch the glorious sun sink into soft shades of love

In solitude together
~ ~ ~ ~
Note from author ~

This poem was born of the deeply spiritual belief I have in true love. I hope you enjoy reading it. This site is my haven for poetry and short stories and I so appreciate your visit.

Blessings and may you always walk in Peace and Harmony, softly upon Mother Earth.

Phyllis Doyle Burns – Lantern Carrier, Spiritual Mentor

© Copyright 2016 Phyllis Doyle Burns
~ ~ ~ ~

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

14 thoughts on “Solitude – Alone With Memories

• April 12, 2016 at 7:39 AM

What a beautiful tale of the search for true love Phyllis. Thank you for sharing this poetry from your heart.

• April 12, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Lovely Phyllis, a deeply personal and emotive read of spiritual conviction and the yearning for that one true certain love. I relate completely. Wonderfully written and expressed, filled with angst and the warmth of a caring soul.

• April 27, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Tony, such a beautiful and inspiring message you send me. I always hope that my poetry will reach out and be meaningful to others. Thank you so much, dear friend.

• April 12, 2016 at 10:18 AM

” I would know him when I saw him ” Is that not the dream for us all somehow ? Is that not the waiting game we all know deep inside us An awesome and yearning writing Phyllis ! Love this .

• April 12, 2016 at 12:10 PM

I echo your deeply felt desires. A poet is often a dreamer, we express ourselves from not only our souls, but also very much our hearts. Some of us have had that part broken, even shattered in our lives. Yet we continue to search for that elusive total feeling of truly being LOVED by our soulmate, whoever, wherever she/he may be on this plane. I have been tested many times by heart desires, lost and won at the game of love. My lust for it drove me beyond my senses, like a drug I was addicted to it. Now my heart lays waiting for that very, very special ONE and when she appears both my Heart and Soul will know she has arrived, until then, I await, living in obscurity and restlessness. Phyllis this was a beautiful expression of your heart and souls desires, I applaud you for being so open and sharing of it here. Peace and blessings I send to you this day.

• April 27, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Thank you, Vincent. I so appreciate it when readers recognize and relate to the words I pen. Peace and blessings to you.

• April 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM

This is the kind of verse that will put a yearning in the soul. Deep down inside I believe everyone searches for that true love. Beautiful work.

• April 27, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Hi Wayne. Yes, I believe you are right – it is within us all to search for that true love. Thank you so much.

• April 27, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Hi Phyllis,

I enjoyed your poem. It touches the inner core and I believe it’s something all can relate to. I’m glad to get started, and so much enjoy the work and the authors here!

• April 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Hey William – I see you are well on your way to settling in here. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I appreciate it.

• May 17, 2016 at 1:07 AM

What we most feel waiting I would say Phyllis whether for the first love or last love, love we just cannot most live without and I remembered the feelings reading yours. Well done.