In Mother Nature’s Palm

Mother Nature’s Palm …

In Mother Nature's Palm
In Mother Nature’s Palm

In Mother Nature’s Palm

On waking in my soft warm bed,

Wind howls outside these walls.

I watch the treetops bend and sway,

The sound of Nature calls.

Feeling lazy like a sloth

I push the bedspread back.

I yawn and put my feet to floor,

Then rub my aching back.

Shuffling to the kitchen,

I put the kettle on,

Then wander out onto the porch,

To butcher birds in song.

I sit back on my outdoor chair,

And look towards the trees,

A cat rubs up against my leg,

Where would I rather be?

With cup in hand, I sit and stare,

Relaxing in the calm,

Appreciating where I live:

In Mother Nature’s palm.

Prologue

I had intended to write a poem on a totally different subject, and indeed, I even started to write it. However, the subject matter was far from uplifting and made me dwell on a recent unhappy situation. I really needed to start the day with something more pleasant. Hence, I wrote this short poem instead. I am glad I did.

John Hansen © 2016

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

John Hansen

Longtime poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning Israeli/British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

12 thoughts on “In Mother Nature’s Palm

• April 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Hello John , And we are glad you did Too! Where IS there that’s a better place to be than in the palm of nature ? Perfect !

• April 13, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Yes, I agree with Ed – so glad you wrote this poem, it is beautiful. The palm of Mother Nature is a wonderful place to be, you couldn’t ask for any better. I love it, John. Thank you for sharing your world, your place, your home.

• April 13, 2016 at 9:43 PM

There are special places for all of us, it’s how we observe it, dwell in it, get uplifted by it. I felt your calmness being in Mother Natures palm John. I chuckled when I read, “to butcher birds in song”not sure if you were saying, they felt you butchering them painfully with your song, or interrupting them in their song? In any case, i felt the calm and peace at your dwelling as I’m certain, the birds, cat and quietude did as well. Lovely calm poem my friend. Enjoyed the rhyme.

• April 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Haha, Vincent. I butcher any song I try to sing, but no, I interrupted the butcher birds. They sing to tell me it is time to feed the cats because they eat any leftovers. The black and white birds (here in Australia) such as butcher birds and magpies have the most beautiful songs. Glad you felt the calmness in this peace.

• April 14, 2016 at 12:16 AM

I know this is a true story John and loved hearing it. Your words were a camera and caught every step! Beautifully done!!

• April 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM

Yes, you know me well, Jackie. It is a true story. Thanks for reading.

• April 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM

A nice reminder of the beauty around us and what we should all be thankful for in a world filled with contention and violence. Nature in all aspect always helps me to find balance. Well penned and expressed my friend.

• April 14, 2016 at 7:56 AM

I am always in awe of what surrounds me, Tony, and ever thankful I don’t live in the city with all its “convention and violence.” Thanks for your kind comment.