Good Morning World (a poem about saving the planet)

"Good Morning World, I'd Like to Save You"
“Good Morning World”

by John Hansen © 2014

“Good morning Mighty River,

How do you feel today?”

“I’m just a trickle now my son,

They took my flow away.

Men erected dams and weirs

To redirect my path,

To irrigate their precious crops,

They heed not Nature’s wrath.”

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

“Good morning Old Man Red Gum,

How do you feel today?

“I’m sad and lonely on my own,

They took my friends away.

Men chopped them down without a care,

To make things out of wood,

Or use the land to build more homes

Where ancient trees had stood.”

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

“Good morning Mrs. Polar Bear,

How do you feel today?”

“I’m worried for my two small cubs

As our ice cap melts away.

Men aren’t trying hard enough

To stop this climate change

They caused by wanting “more..more..more,

Their priorities are strange.”

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

“Good morning Green Sea Turtle,

How do you feel today?”

A tear ran down her leathered cheek,

Half her shell was chipped away.

“My friends are dying all around,

Mankind is just so cruel,

Outboard motors, nets, and trash.

Are they careless or just fools?”

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

“Good morning Mr. President,

How do you feel today?”

“The economy is doing well,

Big Business AOK.”

“But what about the homeless,

Those sick and on welfare,

The environment and climate change,

Or don’t you really care?”

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

He smiled and said, “Don’t worry son,

We do the best we can,

But money only goes so far,

And you can’t please every man.”

“What about the massacres

Happening every other week?”

“I’ve tried to bring in gun-control

But Congress has me beat.”

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

Talking with the President

Just left me feeling down,

So I strolled into the city park

On the other side of town.

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

“Good morning Mr. Hobo,

How do you feel today?”

He looked up with a toothless smile,

“You see those kids at play?

Just watching them enjoy their life,

It really makes my day.

They aren’t corrupted by the world,

Have not seen pain and death,

The cruelty of their fellow man,

Or had to fight for every breath.

˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜ ˜

Those youngsters are our future,

I know it in my heart

That they will make a difference

And give this world a brand new start.”

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Long time poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

16 thoughts on “Good Morning World (a poem about saving the planet)

• April 27, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Like Tony’s poem before yours “Are We Worthy” and William’s “Eyes that See” all three are significant thoughts about this sad world we occupy. There is devastation all around us, we try to find the answers and remedies to a dying planet. We cry out from the wilderness, pleading for change and grace. When will mankind see the “LIGHT” as it sinks into despair. The plight to save our world begins with MAN nobody else, unless we change our course, learn to love, not HATE, stop the WARS strive for PEACE then we will be like all generations before us LOST. Your poem echoed in my soul, I felt the pain of nature as you spoke with it and the self righteous greed $$ words from a president. The answers it came back with were disheartening. Let’s HOPE and PRAY that our children’s children will be the generation that TURNS man’s head towards LOVE, PEACE and caring for our mother world. Saving it from a most horrific end.

• April 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Vincent, your generous and insightful comments always add value to a post. I agree with everything you say, and just hope the next generation does a better job at protecting the planet than ours has…maybe turn things around.

• April 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM

A very poignant and heartfelt piece John, and lets hope the children make a better deal of it than those before them. Nicely put and emotive as to our suffering planet. great work.

• April 27, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate your comment. There seems to be a common theme running through a number of the recent posts here. It is good to see writers voicing their concerns about our planet.

• April 27, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Aw! John, such deeply felt words you express to open the eyes and hearts of humanity. May we always listen to Mother Nature and teach our children well. Thank you for these words of concern for Mother Earth.

• April 28, 2016 at 2:23 AM

My pleasure, Phyllis. The Earth and Mother Nature are things I care about deeply. Thank you for your comment.

• April 28, 2016 at 3:47 AM

Wow, John, get you an illustrator and you have a children’s book here and I am not kidding! Besides it being so interesting for them and seeing the things you talk about but who would not want them to read it. Seriously, you have the perfect opportunity here to find you a sketch artist and I would love to see this happen! I mean you may have to expand a little but we know you can easily do that.
    Think about it!

• April 28, 2016 at 4:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Jackie. It is worth thinking about. This poem and its message means a lot to me and it would be great to share as a children’s book. It is probably long enough for a picture book but could be easily expanded on. I know a sketch artist on HubPages, Denise McGill “paintdrips”. Maybe I should approach her.

• April 28, 2016 at 7:29 AM

I like it. I appreciate your awareness John, that shines clearly through your words. I hope you post more poetry like this. This has inspired me 🙂

• April 28, 2016 at 7:34 AM

What a pleasant surprise to see a comment from you here, Bella. I wrote this one a little while back but believe it needed to be shared. I am glad you like my message (awareness). I hope to write more along these lines. Now I look forward to reading some of your writing here.

• June 14, 2016 at 1:12 AM

Hi John,

“Beautiful” is the first word I uttered reading these lines. You have a brilliant and simple approach of dealing with words which seem to convey the message very well. And Rhyming is your “forte” whatever you may say.

• June 14, 2016 at 2:50 AM

Tarun, I thank you for reading this poem and for your very fine comment. This poem means a lot to me because it deals with some very important issues. I do find rhyming poetry a satisfying medium to get my message across.

• September 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM

I enjoyed how you broke the poem into smaller conversations on a larger theme. Your characters at times reminded me of Eric Carl. This poem would make a great concept chapbook with illustrations. Love it. Jamie

• September 17, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Hmm, Jamie. You are the second person who said I should turn this into a children’s book/chapbook. Maybe I have to consider that.

• October 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Hope you got a plan on this John. Glad I saw it in the email to come back and read again! Maybe we should do up a children’s book next? I would sure love that. I have never thought about children’s poetry even though I have written some short stories. I know that would be such fun, just never had a reason to.
    Was late ordering my book but should have it by first of next week. Are you enjoying it?

• October 14, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Thanks for visiting this again, Jackie. I would love to write a children’s book, but we’ll have to see if we have enough content that is suitable. I have written so many children’s stories and books for other people. I included this in the poetry book. I haven’t received my copy yet..I think it estimated delivery around 28th October. I haven’t heard if anyone has received one yet, but I hope it turned out OK.