A Ghost, a Cat and a Slave

Beast

I have a ghost, no other way to explain it. A nice little grey-haired granny and her little Corgi dog by her side. She sits in a rocker knitting most of the time, in my sun-room, or hers, her little companion at her feet. All well and good, there’s plenty of room. But as the sun goes down the two walk the halls, creaking boards underfoot, and peek in to the lounge-room, probably wondering what I’m doing there.

Again, all well and good, but now the cat decides to play with the dog, each and every night, paws pounding and skidding across the wood floor, up and down, up and down. Again, all well and good. But after awhile the cat gets freaked, a sudden change of heart perhaps, and meows incessantly until I rescue him from the hallway.

Here he is flat against the ground up against the wall, eyes black as tar. With my presence he has the courage to race out of the hall into the lounge-room in a blur, and if cats could sigh, that’s what he does next. Lord, I am a saviour, alas, on second thought, a slave at best.

The cat often sleeps in the sun-room, or used to. Now he whines until I get up and go to him at the sun-room door. He looks up pleading for me to turn the light on and placate his fears. I do and go in first, just to be sure, and then he hesitantly walks to my side, sniffing and checking out the room earnestly. Then, after all seems fine, he hops up on the bed and goes to sleep. If nothing else I am consistent, a slave worth my salt.

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

9 thoughts on “A Ghost, a Cat and a Slave

• April 24, 2016 at 3:00 PM

This is a fun story, Tony. You hit the nail on the head when you put the cat center stage. Everything in a cat owners life is interpreted in light of the cat, including those pesky ghosts.

• April 25, 2016 at 1:04 AM

Thanks Chris, yes to be a cat owner is to be owned by a cat. lol Demanding they are but wonderful companions, and masters.lol

• April 26, 2016 at 11:56 AM

This is a cute story Tony, but not at all far from the truth. I too had a similar cat, a Tabby named Toby. I know for a fact that he saw the spirits by my desk when I penned late into the night. Cats have that natural ability to see beyond the curtain. I use to love watching him sit at the end of my desk, his head moving side to side, his eyes glassed over, his tiny nose sniffing the air. A sudden stretch of his neck, as though he was searching to see even more. I love cats and dogs, but I find cats the spiritual of the two. Your story is excellent my friend, and I pray you remain Master slave to your furry feline companion. We can’t say as much for Edgar Allan Poe’s misadventure with the cat from Hell:-)))

• April 26, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Thanks Vincent, and its not a story at all, just what’s happening at the moment. The ghost I was aware of day one, nearly three years ago, but its only been in the last three weeks that Beast, my cat, has got involved. Cat’s see all sorts of things we don’t. They are magical creatures. Thank you my friend.

• May 30, 2016 at 1:26 AM

How did I miss this one? I love benevolent ghost happenings. This one is so precious, Tony. Living with such delightful ghosts is a delight. Yes, cats are magical – Beast must have a lot of fun with the Corgi. Thanks for sharing this.

• May 30, 2016 at 1:51 AM

Glad you enjoyed Phyllis. Beast is so funny, he plays up and down the hallway, but every night I have to go with him and turn the light on in the back room, so he can feel comfortable before he can sleep on the bed. Just like a small child. Hilarious!

• October 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Has always been hard for me to believe in ghosts but through animals I may could be convinced for they do seem to sense a presence when we see nothing! Great story brought forth from you and your cat’s imaginations….or not? lol

• October 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Thanks Jackie, yes cats are curious creatures whose senses are far more honed than ours. Who are we to argue. Glad you enjoyed it. Cheers!