Bittersweet Memories

Bittersweet memories …

bittersweet memories

The path was still there,

with memories

of thousands of footsteps.

making their way

to the little crumbling cottage,

where along the way

wild roses grew.

At one time that cottage

knew love and laughter

and happiness reigned queen ~

now it was bent under

winter snows.

Spring rains dripped along the eaves

and the summer sun scorched.

There was no one any longer

who cared ~

but the roses they kept growing

and will do so for many seasons more.

And somewhere, old and trembling hands

looked through worn photo albums,

and remembered a time

when the cottage

held love ~

and the scent of the roses

was sweeter than wine.

The inspiration for my poetry was my father Eriks Raisters, who was a popular Latvian poet and writer.

Note from author –

Thank you for reading my poem. This is my site to express my creativity. I appreciate you taking the time to read my work. Please leave a comment below so that I can get to know you and know the kind of poetry you enjoy.

Rasma Raisters

Rasma Raisters

I am a dreamer, a poet and a writer. These are my passions as well as music. My hometown is NYC. Presently I live in the suburbs of Riga, Latvia with my hubby Martin and our wonderful adopted cat Sid.

Latest posts by Rasma Raisters (see all)

Rasma Raisters

12 thoughts on “Bittersweet Memories

• April 30, 2016 at 7:16 AM

A nicely emotive piece with some lovely phrasing and resulting imagery. reall enjoyed it. Just as a comment; have you considered using punctuation to give lines space and the reader breath to read as you intend? Great work.

• April 30, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Something I have never attempted with poetry and that is punctuation Tony. I remember reviewing some of my poetry from when I first started posting online and I saw that I had used some punctuation so something to consider. Thank you for the suggestion.

• April 30, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Hi Rasma. How nice to read your first poem here on TCE. It is a lovely poem.

You need to contact me for help with the issue Tony brought up and Yoast SEO requirements, so this post can pass the requirements. It would be sad to have this lovely poem not published. I will give you any help you need to pass SEO.
    Thank you.

• April 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Hi Rasma,

A Beautiful piece that paints a bitter sweet picture. I can see it all right before my eyes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful work of art.

• April 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Rasma fist let me welcome you to this site of fine writers like yourself. It’s been awhile since we’ve read each other work. This first entry of yours is a sullen reminder of what use to be. So many abandoned homes where loved once dwelt. Yet you mange to bring it back to life with pleasant memories and the sweet scent of the roses nectar. Structures may decay and die, but mother nature flourishes and brings back another season. I look forward to reading more of your work over time. Again welcome my poetic friend.

• April 30, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome Vincent. I have just stepped off of the April Poetry Challenge so I’m a bit breathless.

• April 30, 2016 at 4:47 PM

What beautiful imagery Gypsy. You told a beautiful story of such a heartwarming memory in just a few words. So thrilled to see you here!

• June 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Rasma, I loved this. Bittersweet memories, we all have them. Beautiful indeed.