The Creative Exiles (a poem about writers)

A New Beginning

“The Creative Exiles” is a poem that explains how this website came into being. Many poets and fiction writers have become more and more disillusioned with the lack of appreciation of their creative writing especially on the Internet compared to other forms of writing such as “how to” and “recipe” articles. To me, poetry and fiction stories are the purest forms of both writing and entertainment. Without poetry, you would have very few songs, and without stories, you would have no novels or movies. Although the world seems currently obsessed with instant information and answers to questions, there will always be a need and desire for escapism through the enjoyment of reading good poetry and fiction.

The Creative Exiles

Disillusioned with society’s
Lack of appreciation of their craft
They shunned the Internet’s norms,
And slunk away quietly into dark caverns.
Here they banded together
To form their own society.
These writers and poets
Combined their talents
And emerged to face the dawn
Of a new day.
Determined to show others
A better way.
A way to express their views and feelings
Freely in poetry or prose,
Without constraint or regulation.
These poetry and fiction writers
Known as ‘The Creative Exiles’.

John Hansen © 2016

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Longtime poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning Israeli/British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

20 thoughts on “The Creative Exiles (a poem about writers)

• April 1, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Thank you for being the first to read and leave a comment, Phyllis. Much appreciated.

• March 31, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Indeed we did, poets often shun others who cast a dark shadow on their form, your expression articulates proudly the humble poet and his/hers lonely travel along the often very long and winding road with many forks and turns we thus stumble upon. Nicely expressed John, I consider myself one of those exiles in my own humble style of prose.

• April 1, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Thank you, Vincent. I think many poets are exiles from what is considered popular mainstream writing. You are right that it is often a long and winding road but it is an interesting journey none the less.

• April 1, 2016 at 1:34 PM

And thus begins The Saga of The Creative Exiles. Great piece, Jodah. Glad to be with you blazing a new path.

• April 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Thank you Bronwyn, and it is great to have you on board.

• April 2, 2016 at 6:36 AM

John, you write how we all feel.
    keeping the exiles together
    Blessings

• April 2, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Blessings to you Shyron, for your kind words of encouragement and support.

• April 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Thank you John , Phyllis , you guys have put the hard work in here and everything looks awesome .
    I love that poem John . What a beginning ! , thank you from the heart .

• April 2, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Thank you very much, Ed. I eagerly look forward to your first contribution. I know it will be top quality.

• April 2, 2016 at 1:58 PM

If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here and none of us would be here so thank you John. John this poem proves that you can write poetry on anything.

• April 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Thank you for your kind words of support Abhimanyu. It’s great to have you as part of this exciting project.

• April 2, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Just landed John and grateful to have been part of the creative exiles. Thank you for giving us -exiles, a shelter to live and create (again). Your lines in this masterpiece certainly gave us the feeling of power. You’re man!

Love from the sky~

• April 2, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Thank you for your lovely words Cris, and for being a part of this exciting adventure.

• April 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Hello John. Is this the lifeboat along side the sinking vessel of the once great Hubpages?

I bookmarked this place. No promises, but at least I found my way here.

• April 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Hi Mike, good to see you found your way here. I am not sure if the ship is sinking but it may be floundering ( especially after announcing the next niche site would be “anal hygene”. At least “creative writing and quotes” is on their list now but who knows what order). Yes this is the lifeboat, and if you’d like to get on it would be an honor to have a writer of your caliber join the ranks. Feel free to apply to,join us.

• May 2, 2016 at 9:53 PM

This is really great, I feel like buying an eye patch I feel such a bandit! It really is great to feel the freedom here and I hope it always will!
    Sure went fast didn’t it? Congratulations!

• May 3, 2016 at 1:16 AM

Haha, yes Jackie we are a little like bandits aren’t we? I’m sure you’d look great in an eye patch. Saying it has moved fast is an understatement..I was as surprised as anyone. I hope we can retain a sense of freedom here, that is important.

• May 3, 2016 at 1:54 PM

John, your poem sums up the way poetry is viewed on most sites, and the resulting feelings of rejection and reader lack of interest. So here we are, in excellent company, banded together, able to write freely without constant criticism and requests for revisions, among those who enjoy the ramblings of our minds………it’s heaven!